The Answers to All of your Newborn Photography Questions
FAQ Studio Edition
If you are trying to check off that to-do list and book your newborn session, I bet you have some questions! I gathered the top newborn photography FAQ that I hear from my previous clients and put them all in one easy place for you!
Where is your studio?
- My studio is located in Downtown McKinney, TX. It is an easy drive from all areas of town with quick access to 75, and 121. Many of my clients drive from Dallas, Frisco, and Prosper with ease!
Is a newborn session for the baby only?
- Absolutely not! Your immediate family is always included in your newborn session! My newborn sessions start with the baby alone, and then finish up siblings, and the whole family. There is a little peek of that in this post.
When should I book my newborn session?
- Whenever you are ready! My schedule typically fills up 2-3 months in advance, so it is wise to book in your second trimester. If you are also considering a maternity session, don’t wait! We need time to get that on the books, also!
How does scheduling for newborn sessions work if I don’t know when the baby will be here!
- That’s so tricky isn’t it? I think that this one is actually my top newborn photography FAQ. Babies are unpredictable. Even if you have a scheduled c-section or induction, the baby can still come earlier. (Trust me, it happens a lot!) For that reason, I only accept a few babies each month. That way, I have the flexibility in my calendar to schedule formal dates when the baby actually arrives. Now, I do need my mamas to reach out to me quick once the babies are here because its best to have your studio newborn session done within the first 10 days. After that, the sweet little curly newborn poses that everyone loves become more difficult, and sometimes just not possible.
What if I also want a maternity session?
- That’s great! When you book a maternity session with your newborn session, I offer a small discount. I recommend that we do maternity sessions between 30 and 34 weeks, so you’ll want to book your session in the second trimester to ensure that I have availability in my calendar for both your maternity and newborn session.
- More good news– you can choose from a studio maternity or an outdoor maternity session!
What should the baby wear for his newborn session?
- For studio sessions, we start with my newborn poses. You can choose to have the baby naked, just a little covered with a wrap, or in a white onesie. That choice is totally your preference, but it might help to browse my Instagram for inspiration. You should be able to find examples of naked, semi-wrapped, and wrapped poses to get a good idea of what you prefer. Then, for the sibling and family portion of the session, I will wrap the baby in a neutral swaddle. Most babies, but certainly not all, enjoy the warmth and security of a swaddle, making that the best choice for the reminder of the session.
- This is a really important request- when you are getting ready for you session, please dress the baby in something comfortable and stretchy that does not come off over his head. The very best thing is a set of zip up pajamas like these from Kyte Baby. The key is to choose something that is easy for me to take off without waking them.
Did you find the answer to your question in this newborn photography FAQ post? I would love to the opportunity to chat more about reserving a newborn session with AHP! For my portfolio and pricing information, this page will have all the details for you. When you’re ready, fill out you can also fill out my contact form to book your own newborn session!